These onion pakoras (more popularly known as Bhajias or Bhajjis) are great for starters but they can also be eaten alone as snacks, preferably with some green chillies or spicy chutneys and sauces. They’re a popular variety of street foods, which are available in India, and in other countries where Indians reside. They’re quite popular with the Gujarati communities!
Ingredients for batter:
- 1cup of gram flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 small medium sized shredded Onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- Pinch of red chilli powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1-2 tsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil
- First take a bowl and add the gram flour an water and make a medium thick batter making sure it’s not too thin otherwise the onions won’t glaze properly.
- Then mix in the all the ingredients in to the batter and taste for salt and chilli.
- Once the batter is ready heat up the oil and with a table spoon gently slide the onion batter into the oil very carefully and let this cook.
- Depending on the size of your frying pan you can fit 5-6 bhajjis in all at once. This will speed up the cooking time process.
Once they have turned dark brown, take them out on a plate, grab a chutney, a drink and enjoy!
Author Bio: Jigna Patel is a passionate food lover who enjoys experimenting with new recipes at home.
Photo Credit: Jigna Patel